Responsible for overseeing, supervising, and administrating all laboratory activities, in accordance with established hospital and department policies and standards.
Will comply with all criteria mandated by appropriate accrediting and licensing agencies.
Reports to : Head of Clinical Services
Department : Laboratory
Key Result Areas :
1. Plans, organizes, and directs department / program activities. Develops goals and objectives, establishes and implements policies and procedures for department / program operation.
2. Introduces and demonstrates new procedures, programs, and equipment to the staff. Plans and conducts meetings and discussions with both administration and staff to encourage participation in formulating departmental / program policies, promote initiative, solve problems, and to interpret new regulations and procedures.
evaluates performance and initiates or makes recommendations for personnel actions, such as promotions, transfers, salary increases, and disciplinary action.
4. Develops and recommends department operating budget and ensures that the department operates within allocated funds. Applies cost effective measures to select and purchase equipment and supplies.
5. Is responsible for the department’s operational excellence and ensures that the department delivers quality services in accordance with applicable policies, procedures, and professional standards.
6. Is responsible for the fiscal management of the department and ensures the proper utilization of organization’s financial resources.
7. Effectively communicates departmental, organizational, and industrial information to staff.
8. Attends all required safety training programs and can describe his or her responsibilities related to general safety, department / service safety, and specific job related hazards.
9. Follows the hospital exposure control plans / bloodborne and airborne pathogens.
10. Promotes effective working relations and works effectively as part of a department / unit team inter- and intra-departmentally to facilitate the department’s / unit’s ability to meet its goals and objectives.
11. Coordinates departmental / program functions with other hospital departments and promotes good department / program public relations.
Participates in administrative staff meetings and attends other meetings as assigned. Establishes and maintains communications within the department and with other hospitals.
12. Encourages professional development of department personnel through in-service education and outside conferences. Encourages staff participation in Hospital and other departmental programs and activities.
Encourages inter-laboratory participation. Resolves staff conflicts.
Competencies / Abilities :
Knowledge / Qualifications and Experience