The Sector Leader
To deliver on this role, you will be a highly qualified, entrepreneurial, result oriented team leader who can operate at the strategic level and steer SNV Kenya sector development and quality of practice at country level, in line with SNV’s global strategy. You will report to the Country Director and work in close collaboration with other sector leaders (Energy and WASH), Human Resource Manager and Finance Manager. You will sit in the Country Management Team (CMT) that steers the country strategy as the responsible champion of agriculture sector. In addition, you will work in consultation with the Managing Director Agriculture, Global Sector Coordinators.
You will be based in Nairobi, with frequent travel to project sites, to attend regional forums and events, and to engage with donors and partners. You will lead a team of Project Managers and national/international consultants. You will dedicate up to 50% of your focus to New Business (Project pipeline) Development (Resource Mobilization).
- Strategic Leadership: provide strategic direction to the Sector in terms of content and leadership to optimize development results and resource mobilization;
- Business Development: identify opportunities to mobilize financial resources for the Sector in Kenya and Burundi, develop proposals and secure funding for agriculture projects. This includes both traditional grant funding, as well as emerging opportunities in private sector, climate finance and impact investment financing;
- Programme Management: manage a proportion of projects directly as you oversee the delivery of effective development results, planning and monitoring, financial management, and donor reporting of all projects in the Sector;
- People Management: lead, manage, and coach the team of SNV project managers, advisors, and local and international consultants;
- Monitoring & Evaluation: ensure uniform understanding and practices in planning, reporting, monitoring, and evaluation of agriculture projects in line with SNV’s internal frameworks and donor/customer requirements;
- Representation & Promotion: develop and maintain relationships with national and international stakeholders (donors, government of Kenya and Burundi, civil society/NGOs and private sector) to improve SNV’s market position and actively participate in external and internal networks;
- Evidence Based Advocacy: Utilizing evidence from SNV project case studies to influence improved enabling policy environment for an inclusive market driven agriculture sector, at county and national level.
- Facilitate learning, documentation and evidence-based knowledge development and sharing in collaboration with SNV’s global team and partners;
- Contribute to SNV Kenya’s management as a member of the Country Management Team.
Education: Master’s Degree in Agriculture, Agricultural Economics, Agribusiness, Agroforestry, Business Administration, International Trade or other relevant field.
Experience and Skills:
- Minimum 10 years of professional work experience, including international experience as consultant/advisor for private and/or development organization on programmatic business development, preferably in Africa;
- Proven track record in resource mobilization and/or programmatic business development;
- Proven track record of working with markets systems approaches in agriculture sector
- Strong emphasis with policy advocacy and proven experience in working with civil society organizations;
- Experienced networker and relationship manager, especially with donors and partners;
- Experience in (leading) proposal writing and preparation of project documents;
- Experience in analyzing/implementing value chain approaches in the Agriculture Sector;
- Experience in leading, managing and coaching a team of project managers or advisers;
- Proven project management experience to support sector leadership;
- Proven capacity in linking local productive initiatives with international best practices.
- Strong negotiation skills, leadership, team spirit and results orientation
- Entrepreneurial skills and attitude, initiative taking, networking
- Client - and team-oriented attitude
- Creative, communicative and proactive personality
- Excellent communication skills and writing skills in English
- Strong computer skills
Desired start date: as soon as possible.
Duration of contract: 3 years initial contract
Working at SNV
SNV offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package, per national standards. We offer a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment. Advisors benefit from and contribute to an internal global network of agriculture experts.
How to apply
Please apply by clicking on the “I AM INTERESTED” tab on this page and submitting an application letter and CV that contains three referees in English before 08 November, 2019.
Only shortlisted will be contacted.
We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement.
SNV Kenya does not require you to undergo any medical test prior to employment.