The Advocacy and Policy Manger, will be a member of the Resilience & Climate change Team and will report to the Sector Manager. The Advocacy & Policy Manager shall provide overall leadership and management for the SRCC project including leading the Planning, Management, implementation, Monitoring and Evaluation of the project and ensuring the quality of projects, implementation, partnership management the donor reporting, and field level management is of the highest standards. The Project Manager provides line management support to all project staff including the Snr. Project Officers, Project Officer and the MEAL Coordinator including overall management of their performance in the respective field offices.
The Manager will provide guidance on the development of County Climate change policy, Climate Information services and establishment of institutions for climate change at the Community, Ward and County level. The Manager, with support from the project staff will identify, form and provide training to institutions and coalitions within the Counties to advocate for climate change governance at the two levels of administration from the community, ward and County level. Further, the Manager, will support the project to the project team in contextualizing and establishment of the County Climate Change Fund mechanisms as outlined in the Climate Change Act, 2016. In addition to providing technical support to strengthening resilience to Climate change Western region, the post will also provide appropriate and timely input to other technical team issues related to resilience building & climate change in order to achieve overall sector objectives.
The Manager will provide overall administrative management leadership to the aspects of Climate change policy and CCCF mechanism establishment within the Counties and budget management to ensure that services are delivered. He shall be in charge of day- day basis of the project and therefore, will supervise the project staff. The Manager, together with the team will develop work plans and M&E plans for effective and efficient delivery of the project activities. The Manager will be responsible for developing effective communication, maintaining partnerships and coalitions within the Counties to effectively influence climate change and resilience transformation and accountability within the communities and at the County level.
R 1: Management and oversight of the SRCC project in the three Counties of Siaya, Migori & Trans Nzoia.
- Assume overall responsibility for the management of the SRCC project and provide line management support to all project staff in the 3 Counties of operation
- Provide technical support in the delivery of the project to meet its objectives/Outputs of development of county climate change policies and plans; institutions for climate change governance; coordinated partnerships and coalitions that champion for climate change policy and governance at the county level and establishment of climate change fund mechanisms for mitigation of climate change impacts
- Develop /Facilitate training modules for project staff related to Climate change resilience, policy and partnerships/coalitions development and sustainability
- Maintain working relations with relevant County government ministries, INGOs and other Climate change actors in the region including DFID funded partners and the Lake Region Economic bloc to coordinate the development of policies and approaches to climate change adaptation, mitigation and resilience
- Identify and assist in coordinating relevant workshops and stakeholders in Climate change arena for project staff and targeted project beneficiaries.
- Provide technical capacity of identified stakeholders, beneficiaries to strengthen inclusive and responsive social process that brings together all actors for improved climate change governance.
- Represent the Organization in key strategic and coordination meetings with the other partners in relation to Climate change governance as need arises within the Counties at the Regional blocs for knowledge and information sharing.
R 2: Project Monitoring, Reporting and documentation
- Prepare regular quarterly, semi- and annual reports and ensure the project complies with requirements of quality reporting and timeliness.
- Plan for the monitoring and Evaluation activities in consultation with MEAL Coordinator- including project Baseline, Mid-term, Final and other surveys as per project design and needs
- Keep up to date project performance in line with project targets
- Jointly, with the MEAL Coordinator, develop monitoring and evaluation tools responsive to each indicator, targets and approaches.
- Document key lessons, best practices, Most significant change stories and disseminate them appropriately
- Coordinate communication between the stakeholders and the project management
- Keep the Sector Manager informed of all significant development and issues.
R 3: Financial, Administration, Procurement and HR functions
- Ensure strict adherence to the approved project budget
- Working closely with the Finance office/Program Accountant, undertake monthly reviews and updates and advice technical staff on potential budget under and overruns
- Review financial expense reports on a monthly basis and on reporting schedules as per contractual requirements to ensure contract compliance related to timely reporting
- Review all project financial reports submitted by Finance on a monthly basis while providing timely feedback on all aspects to enhance proper and efficient utilization of project funds, explaining project burn rates against planned activities/expenditure plans
- Ensure there is timely preparation of donor financial reports and that all expenses incurred are dully accounted while ensuring all taxation matters are addressed and that there is harmony in program and financial reports before submission of reports
- Timely respond to budget questions raised by management, finance counterparts and program teams
- Ensure effective implementation of all CARE financial and administrative policies and procedures.
Administration & Procurement
- Safe guard project assets and maintain inventory registers
- Carry out administrative functions as delegated and ensure compliance with CARE and donor financial procedures, HR and administrative guidelines
- Undertake procurement of goods and services as per CARE Kenya operational guidelines and standards based upon price and quality.
- Any other duties assigned by Senior Management
- Ensure proper utilization and maintenance of CARE’s property
- Ensure safety of all CARE property in your possession
- Ensure proper utilization and maintenance of CARE resources.
Staff Management and Supervision
- Promoting staff’s teamwork and team spirit and jointly develop a common program vision
- Ensure timely, consistent and adequate compliance with CARE – Kenya’s performance management system including mid-term and annual appraisal processes
- Participate in hiring and firing the program staffs as appropriate or necessary
- Responsible for promoting gender sensitivity, equity and rights within the program set up
- Ensure new staffs are properly oriented to CARE principles and guidelines at the program onset or time of joining the Organization/program
- Facilitate the staffs to develop their JDs to meet the job and program requirements, individual operating plans (IOPs) and Annual Performance appraisals (APAs)
- Prepare staffing plan and manage and mentor Project Staff team in line with Human Resource Policies and supervisory requirements.
- Initiate and conduct staffs confirmations and issuance of CARE mandatory identifications
- Ensure the Program staffs have appropriate technical support, equipment, standard operating procedures (SOPs) and communication systems to facilitate their daily chores.
R 4: Other responsibilities
- As deemed relevant and necessary within the Climate Change governance project and other duties as assigned by the Sector Manager and other Senior Management Team members of the Organization
Education & Experience required:
- A minimum qualification of a Master’s degree in a relevant discipline such as Climate Science, Community/rural development, Development studies, Agricultural or environmental science, or any related discipline
- At least 7 years of relevant working experience, including a minimum of three years working on local governance, capacity building and climate change with diverse teams
- Strong practical experience in working with Local /County government and Civil society organizations
- Practical experience in rural development, partnership development/ relationship building and networking
- Strong facilitation and communication skills
- Demonstrated awareness of and sensitivity to gender and diversity
Skills and Competencies:
- People Skills: Ability to provide leadership and strategic guidance to team. Demonstrated ability to listen to and support programme staff and partners, and to work with communities in a sensitive and participatory manner.
- Communication Skills: Well developed written and oral communication skills in English and Kiswahili. Able to communicate clearly and sensitively with internal and external stakeholders.
- Computer Skills: Basic computing skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook. Preferably skills related to virtual network communication using the Internet.
- Integrity: Works with trustworthiness and integrity and has a clear commitment to CARE's core values and humanitarian principles.
This is a full time position and will be based in Kisumu CARE office with 50% time travel in the field.
Spending Authority: Budget holder, Approvals
Supervision: Supervises the positions of Senior Project Officer, Project officer, MEAL Coordinator and drivers
Decision Making: Incumbent has the authority to either make decisions or participate in decision making in the following areas;
- Budget utility approval
- Employee request approval
- Staff recruitment process
- Financial expenses approval
- Leave approval
- Staff deployment etc.
CONTACTS/KEY RELATIONSHIPS (internal & external):
- Donors such as DAI/DDP; DFID Country & Regional Representatives
- External program Technical Advisors/ CIUK/ Regional Office
- Local Organizations, stakeholders, County Government, relevant County Ministries, Lake Region Economic bloc; Legislative Assembly Members etc.
- Resilience & Climate Change Sector Manager
- Project Managers- BORESHA, Climate Change Adaptation, WISER Regional and WASH