Receive, assist and direct patient in accessing the appropriate service or health care professionalin a courteous, efficient and effective way.
Provide general assistance to the practice team and project a positive and friendly image topatients and other visitors, either in person or via the telephone.
1. A diploma course in public relations, communication, business administration or anyrelated course.
2. Must have strong analytical and communication skills, excellent leadership qualities.
3. Ability to work under minimum supervision.
4. Honesty and integrity
5. Good interpersonal skills
6. Computer literate.
7. Maintains confidentiality
1. Ensure an effective and efficient reception service is provided to patients and any othervisitors to the facility.
2. Acknowledge patient’s arrival at the desk within 2-3 minutes of arriving.
3. Deal with all general enquiries, explain procedures and make follow-up appointments.
4. Be aware of your surroundings and of patients in the waiting room : be in a position where
you are able to note which client has not be served and direct them to the offices they
need to visit.
5. Be aware of which doctors and nurses are currently on duty and whether they have
arrived. If the doctor has not arrived, call him / her and inform they are on duty and clients
are waiting for them
6. Receive and make telephone calls as required. Phone must be answered within 6 rings
and no more. Take messages, ensuring accuracy of detail and prompt appropriate
delivery. Be polite and helpful at all times. If the patient’s behavior becomes unacceptably
abusive refer the call to your supervisor. Don’t ever shout or respond in a rude manner to
7. Advice patients of relevant charges for relevant medical services, show direction to the
next station that the client would wish to be served.
8. Ensure that all patients’ information is registered onto the computer system promptly
9. It is the responsibility of the receptionist to ensure that client on the Outpatient register
are transferred to the Inpatient register before close of business each day.
10. It is the responsibility of the receptionist to ensure that preauthorization are filled and
ensure communication is made to insurance companies for pre-authorization and
discharge of patients, immediately you are in receipt of either an inpatient insurance
covered clients preauthorization or a discharge summary.
Required education : Diploma, Associate's degree
Required relevant work experience : 2 years
Required languages : English (Spoken : fluent Written : fluent)