Responsibility for critically ill patients in a busy Intensive Care Unit / High Dependency Unit and providing highly specialized nursing and medical care to patients in the hospital in the form of close monitoring, support of vital organs, treatment of life threatening conditions, and care for critically ill patients.
Reports to : Head Critical Care & Rapid Response
Department : ICU / HDU
1. Physically present to provide continuous patient care in ICU and HDU for a 12 hours shift as scheduled on the monthly duty Rota.
2. Review critically ill patients at A&E and wards on consultation by other consultants and / or medical officer to assess the need for critical care and provide a well-documented patient care plan.
3. Respond to clinical emergency codes and review all patients on ward that have been objectively classified as critically ill by the ward team.
4. Clinical management of all critically ill patients admitted to the critical care units ICU and HDU .
5. Routinely involve patient’s primary consultant and other relevant consultants in the management of critically ill patients admitted to the ICU and HDU.
6. Hand over patients back to the primary consultant upon discharge from ICU / HDU.
7. Attend and participate in scheduled department meetings and hospital meetings as may be invited.
8. Train and mentor junior healthcare professionals on the care of critically ill patients in the ICU / HDU and A&E.
9. Participate in the development and implementation of protocols and guidelines pertaining to the care of critically ill patients.
10. Ensure proper handling and functionality of all equipment in the ICU / HDU and report in writing any malfunctioning equipment to biomedical team and to the department Head.
11. Document all clinical information during patient care on the appropriate hospital forms as required by the set standard of care at the hospital.
12. Accountable for all clinical decisions and ICU / HDU administration while on duty with guidance from the head of department.
13. Promptly share with the head of department challenges in patient care while on duty.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
Qualifications and Experience